November 2018

December 2018 Meeting – Holiday Party Time!

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, December 8, 2018 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.

It’s December, and as usual we will not have a lesson this month – instead, we will have a pot-luck and a fun social time, as well as playing Dirty Santa (so much fun!).

Everyone please bring a pot-luck dish and a serving utensil if needed.  Plates, napkins and forks will be provided.  This year we are doing BYOB (bring your own beverage) so no cups will be available.

Also please bring any items that you would like to show off in the display case in the Yukon Library in January. Items will be returned to you at the February meeting.

About Dirty Santa: REMEMBER the items in the Dirty Santa game are NOT gag gifts but should be something you’d like to receive. Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. An item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Playing Dirty Santa is optional – but please, please do bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants, we had such a good time last year.

I’m reposting the rules that Tom has adapted for our Dirty Santa game:

How to Play Dirty Santa

Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. Sometimes an item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Please, please bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants.

VARIATION: Since we will be showing off our gifts during Show & Tell, I will bring gift bags to mask the items for the game. Just to keep it in the spirit of Dirty Santa.

Numbers are written on pieces of paper for every gift and placed in a basket, bowl or hat.

Each person draws a number. Getting a higher number is actually better because you will have more chosen gifts to choose from.

The person with #1 picks a gift to open from the array of gift bags. The person with #2 can choose to take another bag or steal the gift from #1. If a gift is stolen, the person who had it then steals from someone else or picks another gift to open. Gifts stolen cannot be directly stolen back. They must be in the pool of opened and unopened gifts for at least one turn.

The game continues like this until everyone takes a turn select an item or stealing an item. The last person to go can steal from anyone in the game or select the remaining item.

NOTICE: If the first person has not had their selection stolen during the game, they may steal a gift from anyone else. This may open a new round of stealing, but that’s the nature of Dirty Santa.

Once a gift is stolen three times, it is retired from the game.

Minutes for November 10 2018

Called to order at 1:30 pm by President Betty Bolerjack

10 members in attendance

 

Show and Tell:

The images are posted on our Facebook and Yahoo pages

Yahoo pages https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OKPolyClay/photos/photostream

Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/okpolyclay/?fref=ts

 

Program: Was presented by Tom Gibson. Tom demonstrated faux jasper from Samantha Burroughs technique. Also demonstrated Gelato Pens.

 

Business Meeting:Minutes of the October 13, 2018 meeting were approved after a Motion by Cheryl Reich and a second by Jane Linn

 

Vice President –   Shirley Conway presented the schedule for the following months:

December – Christmas Party. Bring a polymer clay gift for the dirty Santa exchange

January 2019 – Bottles of Hope

February 2019 – Cheryl – Kato color kits

March 2019 – Laura – Translucent cane

Treasurer – LeeAnn Kelley

Balance: $6875.84       Membership: 33 paid members

Christmas Party:

Laura volunteered to bring plates and napkins. Jane will provide spoons and forks. Everyone provide a dish to share. Bring your own beverage. If the food item you bring needs more than a plate (ex. Bowl) please provide those. Also bring a serving utensil for your dish.

We will be doing a Dirty Santa Polymer Clay Gift exchange again. It was discussed about bringing your item wrapped and at the end of the exchange we will then reveal who made what, instead of doing show and tell with them at the beginning.

 

Retreat: Tom Gibson: Tom reported he has received 18 responses on the guest artist, mostly from out of town people. He will email the results of the vote later this month. The church has been secured, but the rate has been raised from $475 to $600. Will need to find out if that includes the set-up and takedown. The following individuals volunteered to assist with the contact/solicitation of donations for goody bags and silent auction items. Connie, Laura, Almond.

Yukon Library Display: Individuals wishing to display items at the Yukon Library in January will need to bring them to the December meeting.

 

Drawing:

Providing prizes for the drawing: Almond (2), Carmen, Connie, Tom

Winning the drawing: Laura (2), Tom (2), Connie

 

Submitted by: Laura Clarkson, Secretary COPCG

November 2018 Meeting – Sugar Veil Demo and Faux Jasper Demo

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, November 10th, 2018 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.  We will also have a drawing this month, so if you won something last time, bring some goodies for this one!

Tom will be doing demos on Sugar Veil and faux Jasper.

Tools needed:

Pasta machine

Tissue Blade or other Blade

Acrylic Roller

Ball tool(s) or Fingers

Scraper/Squeegee (old credit card) like would be used for silk-screening.

Baby Wipes

Items needed For the Sugar Veil Demo and hands on sampling:

Liquid Sculpey will be provided.

We will have pearl Liquid Sculpey and mats available for sampling after the demo. If you have Oven-Safe mat or mold that you would like to share in the sampling please bring them.

 

Items needed for the Faux Jasper demo and hands on sampling:

One 2oz package each Translucent and white clay.

Note: Since the Jasper we are trying to achieve is the warmer hue the fact that translucent naturally yellows is a plus this time.

Gliders paste. I’ll be using Inka Gold it will be available for the sampling.

We will be slicing to make veneers, so you might bring something to cover, cabochons, beads, etc. Remember that translucent works best over white or very light backgrounds.

Minutes for Oct. 13, 2018

Minutes

Central Oklahoma Polymer Clay Guild

Meeting convened by President Betty Bolerjack at 1:40

11 members in attendance with 2 visitors

 

Show and Tell

The images from Show and Tell are posted on our Facebook and Yahoo pages.

Yahoo pages https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OKPolyClay/photos/photostream

Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/okpolyclay/?fref=ts

 

Program

Penni Jo and Jane presented today’s program on Chrysanthemums

 

Business Meeting:

Secretary – Approval of Meeting Minutes: 9/8/18. Lori moved, Jane seconded minutes be approved with the following corrections:

  • Connie’s show and tell was “3D”printing
  • The auction was discussed without a decision
  • Drawing is in November not this month.Program schedule for upcoming meetings: December: Christmas Party – Dirty SantaNeed teachers for February, March, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November 2019.Treasurer – LeeAnn Kelley reported we have 31 paid members currently and updated the financial report. Penni Jo moved and Jane seconded to accept the report. Report accepted.Bottles of Hope Coordinator: Tom Gibson  We will be ordering “Polymer Journeys 2019.”Webmaster: Cheryl Reich is the Webmaster. okpolyclay@adolia.bizOld Business:
  • Librarian: Jane Linn: Polymer Arts Magazine, this is the last issue. Our subscription will be transferred to the new Polymer Arts Projects magazine. Jane shared information about Ginger Allman and Katie Way being featured in the final Polymer Arts Magazine. Helen Briel is also featured in the issue. Helen was inspired by the book “The New Clay.”
  • Do not have enough Bottles to delivery yet. Are providing to Integris and Toby Keith Kid’s Korral. Need more Bottles
  •  
  • January (2019) – Bottles of Hope
  • November: Tom-Sugar veil mats with liquid polymer clay
  • Vice President – Not present
  • Retreat: 4 artists have submitted proposals. They are: Katy Oskins, Corlis Rose, Eugenia Topina and Jenny Sorenson. Tom will be making these proposals available for review and voting, which will be open to all of last years attendees as well as members. Look for the email coming your way.
  • Jane reported on Deb Hart’s class held on October 6, 2018.
  • Discussion of the Fair demo. Connie suggested that next year we designate someone to coordinate the activity so cards, banner etc are at the table.
  • Discussion of display at the Yukon Library in January 2019. Items for display are due by the December meeting. Connie and Betty will be in charge.Announcements:  
  • Respectfully submitted by Laura Clarkson, Secretary COPCG
  • Next Meeting is November 10, 2018
  • Drawing:    Next month, if you won in September be sure to bring goodie bags. (Winners: Connie, Carmen, Tom, Deborah)