Meeting for February 2020: Molds From Glass Containers

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, February 8, 2020, from 1:30-4:30 p.m. at Betty Bolerjack’s home:  6712 Randi Road, Oklahoma City

Lee Ann will be teaching us how to use glass containers to create molds.  She will have more examples at the meeting.

Here is the supply list:

  1.  Small clean jar or juice glass. We will be baking these so they need to be small to fit into the oven
  2.  Small towel, potholder or oven mitt
  3.  Scrap clay to cover the jar. This will be rolled out on the thickest setting of your pasta machine
  4.  Exacto knife and blade
  5.  Metal scraper (the one in “Penni Jo’s tools”)
  6.  Masking tape
  7.  White glue such as Aleene’s Tacky glue
  8.  Pasta machine

Minutes for January 2020 Meeting

President Betty Bolerjack called the meeting to order. We met at her house for our January meeting and nine members were in attendance. Lori, Kathy, Penni Jo, Connie, and Betty brought items for Show and Tell.

Tom brought some small bottles for us to cover for Bottles of Hope and some wonderful ones were made! You can see a video of some of those in progress on our Facebook page here.

The minutes for December were approved. Penni Jo made the motion and Lori seconded. Since our secretary was not able to be with us, Penni Jo agreed to take the minutes this month and was helped by Connie. Betty agreed to write them up. Team effort!

Shirley was not available to update us on the upcoming programs, but Betty had the information. Lee Ann will be showing us how to make vase molds at our February meeting and Betty will teach us how to make roses in March. Our retreat is in April. The new VP will set the programs after that.

Lee Ann gave the Treasurer’s report. We ended the year with 26 paid members. We have 11 who have paid for 2020. Several of those paid at the meeting.

Jane gave an update on the Guild Library. The 2019 Polymer Journeys has arrived. Organics is on the way.

New officers were elected for 2020. The members Betty had contacted about holding an office declined which left us without a ballot. After much discussion and cajoling, Penni Jo offered to be Vice President if someone would take the job of President which Connie volunteered to do. Kathy made the nominations official and Angel seconded. Connie and Penni Jo were unanimously elected. Katherine had thought she would be back and would continue as secretary. No one has heard from her, so it was decided to wait on a decision for the position of secretary until the February meeting.

The rubric for State Fair judging was discussed and it was decided that we will get together with Chris Crossland at the Retreat to hammer that out.

Because of changes in Betty’s circumstances with New Day Church, it was decided that we will continue to meet at her house until we find out something about the new Arts Center. Other options for a meeting place were discussed. The Yukon Library is always a backup, but we can’t have our ovens there. Connie has checked into the Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Building. There is a one-year waiting list to get a room there, but she will check into putting us on their list in case we can’t get back into the Arts Center. Betty will check to see what Bethany First Nazarene’s policy is for groups to meet there. Angel will check into the possibility of meeting at Tinker.

Tom addressed the need to work on the letters to request sponsors for donations for the Retreat. Angel has already contacted some. It was also discussed to get a UPS box at $30/month for the deliveries that will be arriving. Other options were discussed including deliveries to someone’s home who is home much of the time. Betty volunteered to use her address and it was agreed to by unanimous consent.

Betty showed the new website with the options for registering for Retreat. We will be using PayPal to process payments. Since we will be having to process payments for the rooms in addition to other Retreat items, we discussed whether we should charge extra to cover the PayPal fees. Penni Jo moved for the Guild to cover the fees and Angel seconded. Motion carried. Part of the issue with the website was not having the ability to put multiple options for the rooms in just two listings instead of needing to make a listing for each option, e.g. the number of people in a room. It would be $49/year for a plugin that will give the ability to choose how many in a room which will make it easier both for Betty and for those registering. Penni Jo moved to purchase the plugin. Connie seconded. Motion carried. It was decided that we would have a 30-day cutoff for the Early Bird price after we open Registration to the public. The member coupon will be good the entire time. Tom will send out emails to the members as soon as Betty can finish the website which will be within the next week.

Betty mentioned the need for a Publicity Person and offered to take on that job. She will set up a Facebook Group for the Guild, create events for meetings and the Retreat, and will do Lives from time to time to help promote the Guild. Connie will work with her on other ways to promote the Guild.

We held our bi-monthly drawing. Tom, Betty, and ?? provided bags. The winners were Angel, Connie, and Tom. They will need to bring bags for our next drawing in March.

Betty reminded everyone that has not paid their dues yet that they are due now.

Our next meeting will be on February 8, 2020, at Betty’s home.

Meeting for January 2020 – Bottles of Hope

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, January 11, 2020 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. at Betty Bolerjack’s home:  6712 Randi Road, Oklahoma City

This month we will be making Bottles of Hope as a group.  Bring whatever embellishments you need to make as many bottles as we can for donation.  We will have several sizes of bottles to cover or you can bring your own.

What to bring:

Work surface

Pasta machine or acrylic roller

Tissue Blade

Favorite tools

Plus anything to give your bottle curb appeal to possible recipients

Texture sheets or silk screen

Molds

Old canes

Mica powders

Paints or inks

Sequins, rhinestones, cubic zirconia

And lots of imagination.

Any clay and any colors you prefer. You can use the sizes below to determine amount needed to cover the bottles we have plus an extra amount for a top.

A sheet rolled to the #3 setting on an Atlas Pasta Machine

or 5 playing cards thick is usually a good thickness to work with.

Our Bottles                 Around / High

Short Insulin bottle         2 7/8” X 2 1/8”

Tall Insulin bottle            2 ½”   X 2 3/8”

Sterile Water bottle         6 ¾”   X 3 ¾”

Large mouth Bulk bottle 6 1/8” X 4 1/8”

Tall Large mouth bottle  8 3/16” X 5 1/4”

Announcements

  • This is inchie month, with a theme of Winter.
  • We will have our bimonthly drawing, so if you won something last time, bring something this time!
  • Time to pay our guild dues of $24 for the year.
  • Betty needs nominations for upcoming officer elections for both President and Vice President positions.  Elections will take place at our January 2020 meeting.

Minutes for December 14, 2019 meeting

Minutes for the December 14, 2019 Meeting:

Called to order at 1:40 pm by President Betty Bolerjack

Nine members were in attendance.

SHOW AND TELL:

 

PROGRAM:

Annual Christmas party took place in Betty Bolerjack’s home.  Thank you, Betty!

 

BUSINESS MEETING:

Minutes of the November 9, 2019 meeting were approved.  Roe volunteered to record the minutes today.

Program Schedule:

January —  Bottles of Hope

February —  LeeAnn  —  Vase Form Molds

March —  Betty  —  Roses

Treasurer  —  LeeAnn Kelley

Membership:  26 paid members

Treasurer’s report was approved and accepted.

Bottles of Hope  —  Tom will provide all the bottles needed for our January meeting.  Be thinking about ideas!

Betty gave a Bottle of Hope to a friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer.  Her friend was greatly encouraged by this small gesture.

Jane suggested that we consider providing Bottles of Hope to doctors and nurses who then in turn could pass them on directly to patients.

Librarian  —  Jane Linn:  Tenth Muse Art is closing this business (due to do health issues).  With the remaining subscription that we hold we decided to purchase a copy of,  “Polymer Art Projects Organic.”  This purchase will close out our subscription.

Party Planner:  Connie Farrell

Old Business:

Retreat:  Tom Gibson – Two volunteers are needed to review and make food selections from menus provided by the retreat staff for our upcoming event.  Betty, Jane, Connie and Roe have volunteered.  Menus will be reviewed and selections will be made in the next few months.

It is time to send out company sponsorship letters for the upcoming retreat.  There was discussion on what is the most effective way to solicit donations, sponsors and promotional items.  It was determined that a thorough review of previously targeted businesses should take place.  Tom will make sponsor lists available to some members for review in the hopes of possibly expanding this list.  Connie and Angel volunteered to mail out solicitation letters.

Domain:  Betty reported that the transfer of our domain is now complete.

New Business:

 

Announcements:

Betty needs nominations for upcoming officer elections for both President and Vice President positions.  Elections will take place at our January 2020 meeting.

No news on the construction status of the Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center.

There was discussion on the need to increase Guild membership.

Drawing:  There will be a drawing at our January meeting.  Drawing items should be provided by Betty, Tom and Roe (November meeting winners).

Inchies:  Next inchie swap will be January 2020.  Theme:  Winter.

Next Meeting:  Saturday, January 11, 2020, location TBA.

Submitted by Roe MacDurmon

Meeting for December 14, 2019 – Christmas Party Time!

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, December 14, 2019 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. at Betty Bolerjack’s home:  6712 Randi Road, Oklahoma City https://tinyurl.com/y3ruojew

It’s December, and as usual we will not have a lesson this month – instead, we will have a pot-luck and a fun social time, as well as playing Dirty Santa (so much fun!).

Everyone please bring a pot-luck dish and a serving utensil if needed.  Please let Connie know what you plan on bringing.  Plates, napkins and forks will be provided.  This year we are doing BYOB (bring your own beverage) so no cups will be available.

About Dirty Santa: REMEMBER the items in the Dirty Santa game are NOT gag gifts but should be something you’d like to receive. Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. An item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Playing Dirty Santa is optional – but please, please do bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants, we had such a good time last year. Please bring your item in a bag and keep it hidden from others.

I’m reposting the rules that Tom has adapted for our Dirty Santa game:

How to Play Dirty Santa

Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. Sometimes an item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Please, please bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants.

VARIATION: Since we will be showing off our gifts during Show & Tell, I will bring gift bags to mask the items for the game. Just to keep it in the spirit of Dirty Santa.

Numbers are written on pieces of paper for every gift and placed in a basket, bowl or hat.

Each person draws a number. Getting a higher number is actually better because you will have more chosen gifts to choose from.

The person with #1 picks a gift to open from the array of gift bags. The person with #2 can choose to take another bag or steal the gift from #1. If a gift is stolen, the person who had it then steals from someone else or picks another gift to open. Gifts stolen cannot be directly stolen back. They must be in the pool of opened and unopened gifts for at least one turn.

The game continues like this until everyone takes a turn select an item or stealing an item. The last person to go can steal from anyone in the game or select the remaining item.

NOTICE: If the first person has not had their selection stolen during the game, they may steal a gift from anyone else. This may open a new round of stealing, but that’s the nature of Dirty Santa.

Once a gift is stolen three times, it is retired from the game.

Minutes for the November 9th meeting.

Minutes for the November 9, 2019 Meeting:

Called to order at 1:36 pm by President Betty Bolerjack

Seven members in attendance

SHOW AND TELL:

Laura brought the cloisonné matchbox pendant she made at Penni Jo’s October 26 class.  LeeAnn brought a pretty cane and textured Bottles of Hope as well another that was sculpted into a walrus.  Betty brought silkscreen necklaces with matching earrings and treated us to a tour of her home studio.

The images are posted on our Facebook and Yahoo pages.

Yahoo page:

Facebook page:

PROGRAM:

Cheryl continued with part 2 of the “Covering a Glass Ornament with a Cane” class that she started at our October meeting.   We left with ready-to-bake retro ornaments.

BUSINESS MEETING:

Minutes of the October 12, 2019 meeting were approved after a motion by Cheryl and a second by LeeAnn.  Roe volunteered to record the minutes today.

Betty reminded us that officer elections for both President and Vice President are coming up.  Elections will take place at our January 2020 meeting.  We should all be thinking about these nominations as the end of the year wraps up.

Program Schedule:

December —  Christmas Party

January —  Bottles of Hope

February —  LeeAnn  —  Vase Forms

March —  Betty  —  TBD

Treasurer  —  LeeAnn Kelley

Membership:  26 paid members

Treasurer’s report was approved and accepted.

Librarian  —  Tom donated, “Making Miniature Flowers with Polymer Clay,” by Barbara Quast.

Party Planner:  All members are requested to send a note to Connie informing her of the food item they will be bringing to next month’s Christmas Party.

Old Business:

Retreat:  Tom Gibson —  Debbie Jackson will be our Retreat artist.  She will be teaching both a tie dye and mesmerizing metallic class.

Domain:  Betty reported that the transfer of our domain is now in process.

New Business:

The 2019 Christmas Party will be held at Betty Bolerjack’s home:  6712 Randi Road, Oklahoma City.

Announcements:

Cosclay.com  —  Excitement continues to build around this hybrid plastic/rubber polymer clay.

Drawing:  Bags brought by Connie, Tom and Cheryl were won by  Betty, Tom and Roe.

Inchies:  Next inchie swap will be January 2020.  Theme:  Winter.

Next Meeting:  Saturday, December 14, 2019 (Christmas Party at Betty Bolerjack’s home).

Meeting for November 9th 2019 – Ornaments.

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, November 9th, 2019 from 1:30-4:30 p.m, at Betty’s house.  The address is 6712 Randi Rd.  Click here for a google map:  https://tinyurl.com/y3ruojew

This month we will be having a drawing, if you won last time dont forget to bring something.

This months program we will be covering Christmas ornaments or votive jars.  Cheryl will be providing both ornaments and little jars, here is the supply list of what you will need to bring:

What to bring:

smooth work surface

pasta machine

acrylic roller

Your retro cane from October meeting (there will be canes to purchase if you didn’t make one last month, or bring your own)

Tissue Blade

6″ metal or wooden knitting needle or skewer

disposable paint brush

Favorite tools and texture sheets

I will provide all other necessary items.