Myra

Minutes for January 13, 2018

  • by

Number of attending            17 total attendees
Number of visitors               2 Visitors – Darlene and Tyler

Show and Tell

Members shared latest work –Tom made several Bottles of Hope, as always creative. Betty brought her latest jewelry. Darlene also shared some of her jewelry. Laura made Heart pins with Magic Gloss. Penni Jo brought examples of a pink and turquoise Skinner blend and the smaller elephant she has made. Connie shared the cutter she made for a nativity to solve the problem of collapsing walls.

The images are posted on our Facebook and Yahoo pages

Yahoo pages https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OKPolyClay/photos/photostream

Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/okpolyclay/?fref=ts

Program

LeeAnn Kelley presented the program today. It was on wire wrapping. An example is on the above pages.

Business Meeting

Officers / Volunteers Reports

Elections were held for – President, Vice-President. The following individuals were elected by acclimation. Betty Bolerjack, President and Shirley Conway, Vice-President. With the resignation of Angela Mabry as Treasurer, LeeAnn Kelley was appointed. Thank you all for being willing to serve.

Secretary – Approval of Meeting Notes for   12 /9 /2017. Tom moved and LeeAnn seconded. Minutes approved.

Vice President –   Jane Linn reported on future programs

  • February and March: Cheryl will be teaching canes to help us prepare for Alice’s classes at retreat.
  • April is the retreat
  • May: Myra will teach an animal print cane

Treasurer – Angela Mabray: Membership – 9 paid members for 2018, but we had 35 at the end of December. Several individuals paid dues during the meeting.

Bottles of Hope Coordinator –  Wendi McKinnon has resigned as coordinator. Tom agreed to take on the responsibility. Thank you, Tom

Librarian – Jane Linn

  • The new Polymer Arts Magazine is now available in the Library. Also Fire Mountain sent their new catalog.

Webmaster – Myra Cleveland

  • Registration for the retreat is now open to members through the website

Photographer -Tom Gibson – Photos will be posted to Facebook and Yahoo group

Old Business

Retreat – Tom Gibson – The location has now been confirmed for the Church. Tom reports for Alice Stroppel’s class we will need 15-20 canes. It was discussed attendees could share canes. Lori Luli will give a demo on sanding. Talk to Tom if you would like to do a demo at retreat. Dates for the retreat are April 12-14. Registration is open. There is a discount code for members only. Be sure and register early to ensure your spot.

New Business

February meeting will be moved to the 3rd Saturday, February 17, due to Affair of the Heart being at the Fairgrounds on February 10. Crowds generated by the Affair of the Heart create parking problems. This announcement will be quickly posted to the website.

Announcements – none

BiMonthly Drawing / Inchie Swap

  • Next Inchie swap will be at the retreat.
  • Drawing – The following people brought goody bags for the drawing: Laura, Penni Jo, Jane, Deborah, Marsha, mystery donation and also the Guild donated a Goody Bag from last year’s retreat
  • Drawing – The following people won the drawings this month Betty, Lori, Tom and Marsha was the big winner, winning 3 drawings. Marsha generously gave the Retreat Bag to our visitors.
  • Next drawing will be in March.

January 2018 Meeting: Wire Wrapping

  • by

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, January 13, 2018 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.

Lee Ann Kelley will show us how to do wire wrapping.

Supplies

  • Wire – Parawire, Vintaj or Artistic – 20 gauge and 26 gauge. Hobby Lobby has all three brands. You will need 10 inches of 20 gauge wire and 4 feet of the 26 gauge wire.
  • Polymer clay disks – Lee Ann will supply these, baked and ready to go.

Tools

  • Pliers – round nose and chain nose
  • Wire cutters
  • Nylon jaw pliers – if you don’t have these, you can borrow Lee Ann’s.
  • Sharpie
  • Ruler
  • Small paint brush or knitting needle to make a bail

If you can’t find some of the supplies, you can use Lee Ann’s.

Announcements

  • This is inchie month, with a theme of Winter.
  • We will have our bimonthly drawing, so if you won something last time, bring something this time!
  • Guild officers will be elected.
  • Time to pay our guild dues of $24 for the year.
  • Retreat registration will be announced.

Minutes for December 9, 2017

  • by

Minutes recorded by Penni Jo Couch

Welcome All to the Christmas Party!!

Number of attending 12 to begin & maybe 14 at the end

Show and Tell

Many of the gifts brought for the “Dirty Santa” part of our party were shown with much oohing and aahing.

Lots of food was brought and laid out on the three big tables. Everyone brought their own favorite drink and a bottle of homemade wine was donated and opened. (It was wonderful!)

The Program was first dining and visiting whilst Tom secreted the gifts into bags.

Business Meeting

Officers / Volunteers Reports:

Secretary

Approval of Meeting Notes for Minutes are on line.

Vice President –   Jane Linn

Month: January – Wirework with Lee Ann
Month: February – Caning
Month: March – Caning

Treasurer – Angela Mabray

Members: 34 (renewed members Carla and Rosella)

Bottles of Hope Coordinator – Connie Farrell

None

Librarian – Jane Linn

N/A

Webmaster – Myra Cleveland

Myra will serve next year again and will get the retreat info up early January

Photographer – Tom Gibson

Tom took pics of all the show and tell, gifts and BoH’s.

Party Planner – Connie Farrell

Connie brought plates, napkins, and plastic ware.

Mail Support & Comfort – Connie Farrell

Old Business

Election of officers next month. Will need President, Vice President, and Treasurer. First two are elected, Treasurer is appointed. If you are interested, please contact Penni Jo. PJ to contact missing members.

** Retreat: Tom Gibson – a brief discussion of Classes and need for canes. Penni Jo suggested that we provide small sketchbooks with pencils for retreat attendees. Some members will be researching this. Also, Myra and Tom, with other members discussed some of the finishing details for the registration. Myra would like to get it online early January.

We would like ideas for classes.

New Business

The State Fair came up and the category was suggested “Bottles Of Hope” Jane moved we add this category, Betty seconded, vote carried.

Speaking of the State Fair, these questions came up again:

  • Can our entries be displayed together?
  • Can we bring in a judge with polymer clay skills?
  • Can some of our members volunteers help to set up the judged items?

Some of the ideas suggested for classes this coming year are:

  • Making cookie cutters – Sue?
  • Jungle print cane – Myra
  • A “demo day” with many demonstrators
  • Cluster pendant with sugar veil background – Betty
  • Findings challenge, one month after drawing a finding, member to bring finished item
  • Colored pencil illustrations on clay – Penni Jo

No Announcements

BiMonthly Drawing / Inchie Swap to be held in January, with a theme of Winter. Also, a drawing will be held in January.

Inchie themes:

  • January – Winter
  • April – Spring
  • July – Summer
  • October – Fall

December 2017 Meeting: Party Time!

  • by

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, December 9, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.

It’s December, and as usual we will not have a lesson this month – instead, we will have a pot-luck and a fun social time, as well as playing Dirty Santa (so much fun!).

About Dirty Santa: REMEMBER the items in the Dirty Santa game are NOT gag gifts but should be something you’d like to receive. Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. An item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Playing Dirty Santa is optional – but please, please do bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants, we had such a good time last year.

I’m reposting the rules that Tom has adapted for our Dirty Santa game:

How to Play Dirty Santa

Everyone playing the game brings a hand-crafted polymer item. Sometimes an item using a technique learned this past year or one you just enjoyed making and sharing. Please, please bring an item. It is so much more fun with many participants.

VARIATION: Since we will be showing off our gifts during Show & Tell, I will bring gift bags to mask the items for the game. Just to keep it in the spirit of Dirty Santa.

Numbers are written on pieces of paper for every gift and placed in a basket, bowl or hat.

Each person draws a number. Getting a higher number is actually better because you will have more chosen gifts to choose from.

The person with #1 picks a gift to open from the array of gift bags. The person with #2 can choose to take another bag or steal the gift from #1. If a gift is stolen, the person who had it then steals from someone else or picks another gift to open. Gifts stolen cannot be directly stolen back. They must be in the pool of opened and unopened gifts for at least one turn.

The game continues like this until everyone takes a turn select an item or stealing an item. The last person to go can steal from anyone in the game or select the remaining item.

NOTICE: If the first person has not had their selection stolen during the game, they may steal a gift from anyone else. This may open a new round of stealing, but that’s the nature of Dirty Santa.

Once a gift is stolen three times, it is retired from the game.

Minutes for November 11, 2017

  • by

Meeting notes by Katherine Barnes

Number of attending 14

Number of visitors   0

Show and Tell

Deborah showed the rose wine glasses that we will be embellishing with rose petals sepals and stems. Connie an example of Sugar veil. Penni Jo, new mold PJ 057 Halloween. Wendi read the note from Kid Corral. Lee Ann had several pendants. Tom showed bottles of hope and Wendi’s bottle of hope too.

Program

Our program today was by Deborah DiMaggio – decorating wineglasses with rose petals and leaves. There were rose petals in every color under the sun it seemed and all were beautiful.

Business Meeting

The business meeting opened with a discussion of the upcoming Treas. election and the duties involved. It will be very hard to replace Angela and we will miss her. We discussed next month’s Christmas party. Connie has sent out an email asking for people to volunteer for goodies at the Christmas party in order to avoid overlapping. We will once again play dirty Santa and have asked that members bpring a polymer clay exchange if they like.

Officers / Volunteers Reports

Secretary’s minutes

Penni Jo presented the minutes of the last meeting and they were approved. Deborah moved we accept them. Wendi seconded.

Vice-President  – Jane Linn

In January, Jane will do a program on polymer clay and wire

Since we will elect a new president and a new vice-president in January, the new vice-president will give us information on upcoming monthly projects. Jane has a few months already booked.

Treasurer report – Angela Mabray

Was given and approved. We now have 32 members.

Bottles of Hope Coordinator – Wendi McKinnon

Wendi reported that everyone loves the bottles that are being donated. Tom reported that a $13 check was donated to our Guild buy a bottle of hope recipient. He bought tiny “HOPE” charms for the members to add to their Bottles of Hope if they would like.The membership was pleased to hear of this lady’s generous donation.

Librarian – Jane Linn

Jane reported on the magazine “Polymer Week” and it was decided by the membership to subscribe for at least one year and add this magazine to our library. The magazine comes out four times a year.

Webmaster – Myra Cleveland

Myra reported that everything is fine.

Photographer – Tom Gibson

Tom reported that he will put up the photographs from today’s meeting on our Facebook page.

Party Planner – Connie Farrell

Connie is working on the Christmas party.

Mail Support & Comfort – Connie Farrell

No report at this time.

Old Business:

Retreat

Tom Gibson has been in touch with Alice Stroppel our teacher for 2018. Tom said we might do a cane class in March 2018 to prepare for her class which uses canes. Cheryl volunteered to do a cane class in February.

Tom asked for volunteers to look for people to sign up to send out requests for goody bag items for the retreat. He has five sheets and was able to get for volunteers Connie Penni Jo, himself and one other..

There was no New Business

There were no Announcements

We will have the bi-monthly drawing in January 2018.

The next inchie theme is winter. If you would like to swap inchies, bring winter inchies.

Minutes for October 14, 2017

  • by

Minutes recorded by Laura Clarkson

Number attending: 13
Number of visitors: 0

Show and Tell

Jane shared the elephant which she and Penni Jo will be teaching in the workshop on October 28, 2017. Betty brought a necklace based on the alcohol ink method that Syndee taught at the retreat. Deborah shared the wine glasses she will be teaching in November. Wendi brought Bottles of Hope – a cute dog, chicken and a sea scene. Tom also brought several Bottles of Hope-  a geisha, skunk, lumberjack, ancient statue, 2 demons and a ballerina, plus he shared an angel Christmas ornament he made. Myra shared necklaces she had made with ball chain. Connie shared several projects – the Altoid vignette, a butterfly she made with Lisa Pavelka’s gel, and a heart she made with a stained glass effect.

Program

Cheryl taught our class today on Mokume Gane.

Business Meeting

Officer/Volunteer Reports

Secretary: Minutes of the September 9, 2017 meeting were submitted by Laura and approved

Treasurer: Angela gave an update on the current balance. We currently have 33 paid members.

Bottles of Hope Coordinator: Wendi McKinnon

Librarian: Reviewed Polymer Week Magazine. Quarterly publication. It is $15 per issue. No decision made.

Old Business

Retreat 2018 – Tom reported we have received 3 proposals for a guest artist for retreat: Alice Stoppel, Teresa Delgado, and Deb Hart. We will decide at the November meeting.

New Business

Penni Jo and Jane are teaching the elephant journal cover in Maysville on October 28, 2017. There is no charge for the class, but there is a $7 charge for lunch.

December will be our Christmas Party. Connie is coordinating. Bring a polymer clay piece for the Dirty Santa swap.

Announcements

Almond won Best of Show at the Fair.

Drawing was held with prizes brought by Wendi, Angela, Deborah and the Guild; winners were Connie, Laura, Deborah and Jane.

This was also inchie month with a theme of Fall. Next inchie swap will be in January.

November 2017 Meeting: Floral Wine Glass

  • by

Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, October 11, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.

Deborah DiMaggio will lead us in decorating wine glasses with roses.

Materials

  • Clay in color of your choice for rose
  • Clay in color of your choice for leaves and stem
  • Bake and Bond, if needed

Tools

  • Pasta machine to condition clay
  • Work surface

Deborah will have wine glasses anyone can use, or you can bring your own (wine not included, LOL!).