May 2017 Meeting: Wirework Necklace
Our next guild meeting will be Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in the Contemporary Arts Center at the fairgrounds.
Betty Bolerjack will be presenting our project for this month’s guild meeting. We will be making a handwoven neck wire which can be used in place of a chain when creating a necklace or can be the basis of a more elaborate piece. We will be embellishing it with beads, and will be doing some practice wires to begin with which can be finished with chain to create a necklace, bookmark, or earrings.
Recommended wire is Artistic Wire or Parawire in your choice of color. Hobby Lobby carries both. They have silver Parawire with the other wire and antiqued colors under the brand name Vintaj which is with the charms. Other dead soft wire will work also. One spool of each recommended gauge of wire should be plenty. The prices range from $3.99 to $5.99 for the Artistic Wire and the Vintaj Parawire.
- 18ga wire
- 24ga wire (same color as 18ga)
- 20ga or 22ga wire for practice (can be a different color)
- Approximately 12-36 beads of your choice in various sizes for embellishment (can be purchased or made from PC)
- Chain to match your practice wire (optional)
- Side or flush cutters
- Chain-nose pliers or bent chain-nose pliers
- Round-nose pliers
- Bail-making pliers (optional)
- Hammering surface or anvil (optional)
- Nylon or rubber hammer/mallet (optional)
The basic tools for working with wire are the first three which most everyone has, I think, but we will be making limited use of all the tools, so it should be easy enough to share. If you have the optional items, please bring them and plan to share.